John Pesavent
Chip Fox
Beka Whitemarsh
Natalie Kraemer

Rebekah Nathan

Rebekah Nathan

Monday, May 10, 2010

My Freshman Year: May 10, 2010

Hi group members! Please post a paragraph or two and state what you thought of the book/your perspective on it! :)
Thanks!!
Beka's Final Thoughts
I really enjoyed reading this book for my Lit Circle group. Before reading this book I thought the content would not be quite as dense and I didn't think about the conclusions the professor might have by researching my culture group. However, as I started reading the book, I was surprised at the results Nathan found while researching. It was interesting to note the fact that there is a lack of diversity among the students on campuses across the United States as well as the persistent racism that is still not addressed. I was also surprised at the lack of knowledge about other cultures displayed by students on campuses. While Nathan's research was done to the best of her ability and her findings were interesting, I believe that in some of her findings her own personal perspective influenced the results. She was a professor doing research on a student group - I believe it would have been different if an ordinary person had been doing the research. Also, I believe that the group she was researching was all freshman and that definitely is not an accurate reflection of the entire college. If Nathan wanted her results to be a little more accurate than she should have researched perspectives and lifestyles of most students on campus, not just the freshman. Overall, I am glad I read this book because it gave me a different perspective on student life and allowed me to see campus from the lens of a professor.

John's final thoughts
I signed up for this book to see how other people viewed the college subculture. I was very interested in how she would portray our behaviors. As I began reading, I realized this book was a little more difficult than I originally thought. Throughout the readings I was constantly comparing and contrasting what I was reading and what I personally experienced. To be honest, her findings were accurate for the most part. However, there were things that she did to make it slightly inaccurate. I thought it was very interesting getting a look at my own culture from someone else's point of view. I would recommend this book to anyone who would be interested in learning more about the college freshman culture or any college student who would like to see their own culture from another perspective.

Natalie's Final Thoughts
I was excited to read this book as to the fact that I wanted to see how a teacher would portray college. Right from the get go Nathan seemed extremely one sided as she ripped on college freshman from the things placed on their doors to their time management. I found it funny at the end of the book when she started slacking and not caring about her grades just like the freshman did that she previously was ripping on. I did not like the book as much as I thought I would it even angered me. She failed to mention anything about the college freshman who were not actually here to party and get wasted every weekend. Its a good book to read as it shows one persons view of college, but I'd read it with a grain of salt as it does not hold true to every ones college experience.

Chip's Final Thoughts
I was interested in this book right when the title was introduced in class. I thought it would be very interesting to be able to see what another person thought about the same experience I am just finishing. When I started reading this book I was interested in what Nathan was saying because I kept thinking about how well that described my experience. However, I do think that her findings about the dorm life, were somewhat influenced from her opinion. Something that really stood out was how different relationships are between American students and students in other countries. I have grown up with American customs and I never thought anything of it. I wonder if her findings would be any different if she was in a smaller school than ASU since many people who go to a big university go with a set group of friends. I definitely enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others. It is a fairly good description of what goes on freshman year of college, except for the off-campus life and social aspect. I do however, feel that Nathan had a major handicap due to her age because some people might not feel as comfortable around someone older than them.

No comments:

Post a Comment